Terengganu State Museum
The Terengganu State Museum was built in the year 1976 under Enactment 1976 Vol. 9 and approved by the state assembly on 28th of December 1976, effective on 1st of November 1977.
Located on the east coast of Peninsular Malaysia, the history of the Museum began upon the discovery of the Terengganu inscription stone in Kampung Buloh, Hulu Terengganu by Syed Hussein Ghulam Al Bukhari in the year 1902.
The inscription stone was one of the earliest artifacts to be found written in Jawi and was exhibited at the Raffles Museum, Singapore in 1923.
The Terengganu State Museum’s mission is:
- To Rescue
- To Conserve
- To Study
- To Display
- To Educate
The Terengganu State Museum’s establishment is based on certain objectives that act as guidance in the implementation of its activities.
Amongst these objectives are:
- To undertake research and studies on some specific areas specially related to the State’s culture and the obtained information disseminated to the general public for knowledge and education, and to inculcate the love for one’s own history and culture.
- To undertake research and studies on the State’s history, and preserve the historical remains present within, while placing the negative historical views in their proper perspectives according to accepted values that are free from external influences. Every level of the community will be encouraged to use the museum facilities for purposes of research and education.
- To undertake research and conservation on the fauna, flora and geological structures that are present in the state.
- As an asset and main destination centre for tourists besides supporting and encouraging the development of the tourism industry of the State, specifically, and Malaysia, generally.